His professional career is only nine games old, but he's already heading to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
A ceremony will be conducted Thursday at Winter Park, at which the uniform A.D. wore against the Chargers when he set the NFL record for rushing yards in a single game with 296 yards will be donated to the Hall of Fame.
Joe Horrigan, vice president of the Hall, will be in attendance to bring the uniform to Canton. There is no timetable as to when the uniform will go on display, but it clear that Peterson is already making his mark on pro football and will have Hall of Fame credentials to prove it.
* Famed surgeon Dr. James Andrews, agrees with the Vikings' assessment of Adrian Peterson's knee injury. "I have reviewed Adrian's MRI and agree with your assessment and diagnosis. I agree that you are tkaing the correct approach. He has an isolated injury to his Lateral Collateral Ligament. He should be re-evaluated on a week-to-week basis and be allowed to progress as his symptoms allow," Andrews wrote in a statement released by the Vikings.
* The Vikings worked out a pair of defensive backs Tuesday – Dejuan Groce of Nebraska and Christian Morton of Illinois.
* Having Koy Detmer on the team was more than just a little bit spendy. Detmer, who practiced with the team from Wednesday to Friday of last week while the team waited to see if Tarvaris Jackson and Kelly Holcomb were healthy enough to make the trip to Green Bay, got one game check, even though he wasn't with the team for a game. That totaled $43,000. Because of some fine print in the collective bargaining agreement, he also was due $48,000 in termination pay based on his years in the league, acocrding to the Star Tribune. That brings his total to $91,000 for just three days work. No wonder he dropped everything and came up to join the Vikings. Who wouldn't?
* The Vikings will provide an update on how many tickets remain for the Raiders game Sunday. As of Monday afternoon, there were about 3,500 tickets left. There may be more impetus for the CBS affiliate WCCO to step in to buy up remaining tickets because, unlike the Chargers game in which the station had to end coverage and go to a doubleheader game, this time they will be able to air a post-game show and collect ad revenue from that as well as the approximately $250,000 in ad revenue brought in from local commercials during game coverage.
* Chris Kluwe has 22 punts of 50 yards or more yards this season, which ties the franchise record for a full season currently shared with Mitch Berger.
* The current plan is to have Peterson return for the Nov. 25 game against the Giants, but don't be shocked at all to see that pushed back to Dec. 2 against the Lions.
* Antoine Winfield is expected to take part at least on a limited basis today in practice and should be good to go on Sunday vs. the Raiders.
* The Raiders have yet to announce who their starting quarterback will be Sunday, whether it will be Josh McCown, who broke Vikings fans hearts with a last-second touchdown pass for the Cardinals that knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs, or Daunte Culpepper – whose history with the Vikings you all know.
A.D. Headed to H.O.F.
Viking Update Top Stories
Reports: Peterson nearing dealFormer Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson could find a home before the NFL draft kicks off Thursday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:13 PM
Mayock on Vikings’ ‘splash’ decisionWithout a first-round pick, what does NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock expect from the Minnesota Vikings’ second-round pick?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:36 PM
Former Vikings tackle calls it a careerThe Minnesota Vikings didn’t have Jake Long for long last year, but the Vikings will go down as the offensive tackle’s last NFL team.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:54 AM
In-depth NFL draft analysis: SafetiesOne of the best safety classes in some time could see two of them chosen in the top 10 and many more in the first two days. Is it worth a shot for the Minnesota Vikings? We assess…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:29 AM