From all outside appearances, Doug Chapman looked fine Tuesday at an Edina hospital. He had been taken out of intensive care and is scheduled to be released Thursday or possibly even today.
But after suffering a bout of internal bleeding and being hospitalized Monday, Chapman is out for the rest of the season.
Coach Mike Tice made the announcement Tuesday, saying the team has signed free agent offensive tackle Jon Carman, who played with Buffalo last year and, to make room on the 53-man roster, put Chapman on I.R.
The Vikings may look at adding another running back to the roster, but, for now James Wofford moves into Chapman's spot on the depth chart.
* VU is again hearing that the Vikings and the agents for Bryant McKinnie remain optimistic on a deal getting done. From what we're hearing, the Vikings may be willing to give McKinnie the $9.3 million signing bonus he seeks in exchange for adding time to the contract, which could become a six- or even seven-year deal.
* The Vikings continue to list wide receiver D'Wayne Bates as doubtful for Sunday with back spasms.
* The Vikings waived OT Matt Anderle from the practice squad Monday and re-signed DB Carey Scott.
* Of the Vikings' six opponents so far this year, only one of them (Buffalo) had a winning record.
* Former coach Jim Mora, who apparently doesn't have much else to do, absolutely blasted Randy Moss, saying that he believes the Vikings should cut him and nobody else sign him. Perhaps that would give Moss about the same prospect of NFL employment as Mora himself.
Chapman Put on I.R.
Viking Update Top Stories
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportFriday at 7:19 PM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 1)Which top prospect has been without his mom for most of his life? Who is the son of a former NFL star? Who are two of the top small-school standouts? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportFriday at 6:54 PM