As Bryant McKinnie's holdout extends into a 93rd day today, VU has received word from sources close to both McKinnie and the Vikings that a deal may get struck within the next couple of days.
From what we're being told, both sides are willing to bend a little. The Vikings apparently are willing to give McKinnie the kind of signing bonus money those who signed around him received and McKinnie's agents are looking to give in to a longer-term deal that would delay McKinnie ever joining the free agent market.
While VU has been told there are still hurdles that need to be crossed, the two sides are closer than they've been yet and that a resolution may finally happen within the next couple of days.
* Daunte Culpepper's quarterback rating is 69.9, which ranks him 27th in the league.
* That rating might get a boost. For the season, the Bears have allowed opposing QBs to pile up a quarterback rating of 103.5, with 12 TD passes and just three interceptions all year.
* The Vikings have already replaced eight starters since the beginning of the regular season.
* In the last 25 regular-season games, the Vikings have a record of 6-19.
* Chicago's stellar defense, which allowed just 12 passing touchdowns all last year, has matched that total with 10 games remaining.
* The Bears have been outgained by an average of 58 yards a game -- 43 of that coming in a disparity in the rushing game.
* The Vikings are outrushing their opponents by 43 yards a game (139 to 96), but are being outpassed by 50 yards a game (295 to 245).
* As if the Bears' injury woes weren't bad enough, it now looks like QB Jim Miller may be gone for the season.
Vikings, McKinnie Closing In On Deal
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings make pre-camp roster movesThe Minnesota Vikings made a bottom-of-the-roster release and signing on Friday, but they might not be done.
Viking Update12:46 PM
NFC North Rankings: Tight endsThe crop of tight ends in the NFC North has been formulated under two very different approaches, with varied levels of success.
Viking Update5:29 AM
Rivalries start for divisional defectorsThe Minnesota Vikings signed three free agents this offseason that played for each of their NFC North rivals. So what will it be like for them to play their former teams twice a…
Viking Update4:47 AM
Jones feeling good with position switchDatone Jones is thrilled to be back working at a position that made him a first-round pick out of college, and the Minnesota Vikings believe that is his best position.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:18 AM
Podcast: Mankato memoriesThe Minnesota Vikings will start their 52nd and final training camp in Mankato next week. We reminisce about the memorable Mankato moments and preview this year’s camp.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:35 AM