As Bryant McKinnie's holdout extends into a 93rd day today, VU has received word from sources close to both McKinnie and the Vikings that a deal may get struck within the next couple of days.
From what we're being told, both sides are willing to bend a little. The Vikings apparently are willing to give McKinnie the kind of signing bonus money those who signed around him received and McKinnie's agents are looking to give in to a longer-term deal that would delay McKinnie ever joining the free agent market.
While VU has been told there are still hurdles that need to be crossed, the two sides are closer than they've been yet and that a resolution may finally happen within the next couple of days.
* Daunte Culpepper's quarterback rating is 69.9, which ranks him 27th in the league.
* That rating might get a boost. For the season, the Bears have allowed opposing QBs to pile up a quarterback rating of 103.5, with 12 TD passes and just three interceptions all year.
* The Vikings have already replaced eight starters since the beginning of the regular season.
* In the last 25 regular-season games, the Vikings have a record of 6-19.
* Chicago's stellar defense, which allowed just 12 passing touchdowns all last year, has matched that total with 10 games remaining.
* The Bears have been outgained by an average of 58 yards a game -- 43 of that coming in a disparity in the rushing game.
* The Vikings are outrushing their opponents by 43 yards a game (139 to 96), but are being outpassed by 50 yards a game (295 to 245).
* As if the Bears' injury woes weren't bad enough, it now looks like QB Jim Miller may be gone for the season.
Vikings, McKinnie Closing In On Deal
Viking Update Top Stories
Holler: Who blinks first with Peterson?Social media pulled out its stereotypical fangs about noon Wednesday when Adrian Peterson opted to speak to the local media. The problem with the venom is that the antidote is more…
Viking Update5:21 AM
Peterson discusses rehab, defying timetableAll the talk about Adrian Peterson on Wednesday was whether the Vikings would win enough to make his return sensible. But, he's spent almost three months pushing for that to happen…
Viking Update4:16 AM
VIDEO: Zimmer tired of talking about his eyeMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer wasn't in the mood to discuss his ailing eye anymore, wanting to keep the focus on correcting mistakes and trying to beat Jacksonville.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 3:52 PM
VIDEO: Bradford on offensive strugglesMinnesota Vikings QB Sam Bradford talks about getting Mike Zimmer back and the offensive problems that have plagued the team.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 3:45 PM