As Bryant McKinnie's holdout extends into a 93rd day today, VU has received word from sources close to both McKinnie and the Vikings that a deal may get struck within the next couple of days.
From what we're being told, both sides are willing to bend a little. The Vikings apparently are willing to give McKinnie the kind of signing bonus money those who signed around him received and McKinnie's agents are looking to give in to a longer-term deal that would delay McKinnie ever joining the free agent market.
While VU has been told there are still hurdles that need to be crossed, the two sides are closer than they've been yet and that a resolution may finally happen within the next couple of days.
* Daunte Culpepper's quarterback rating is 69.9, which ranks him 27th in the league.
* That rating might get a boost. For the season, the Bears have allowed opposing QBs to pile up a quarterback rating of 103.5, with 12 TD passes and just three interceptions all year.
* The Vikings have already replaced eight starters since the beginning of the regular season.
* In the last 25 regular-season games, the Vikings have a record of 6-19.
* Chicago's stellar defense, which allowed just 12 passing touchdowns all last year, has matched that total with 10 games remaining.
* The Bears have been outgained by an average of 58 yards a game -- 43 of that coming in a disparity in the rushing game.
* The Vikings are outrushing their opponents by 43 yards a game (139 to 96), but are being outpassed by 50 yards a game (295 to 245).
* As if the Bears' injury woes weren't bad enough, it now looks like QB Jim Miller may be gone for the season.
Vikings, McKinnie Closing In On Deal
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: WR holds free-agent intrigueThe Minnesota Vikings have more pressing positions to solve in free agency than wide receiver, but there are interesting and altering decisions ahead at the position.
Viking Update6:30 AM
Why should fans expect Peterson to stay?Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson sent out a cryptic tweet about the New York Giants’ recent roster moves, but those who would be surprised if he ends up somewhere else don't…
Viking Update5:14 AM
Podcast: A.P.’s best landing spots and moreAdrian Peterson seems to be sending out indications of where he would like to play, but what teams are the best fits? Plus, roster moves, their meaning and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 AM
Hip surgery complicates Line’s offseasonMinnesota Vikings fullback Zach Line talked about a hip injury that hampered him in 2016.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:31 AM
Free agency: Plenty of possibilities at guardThe Minnesota Vikings created a need by releasing Brandon Fusco, and free agency holds different salary levels of possibilities at guard.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:08 AM