It was a date Vikings fans wondered would ever come, but on Tuesday morning Brett Favre announced that, after 17 seasons, he was hanging up his cleats and retiring.
The Packers and Favre have been playing the cat and mouse game for the last three or four years, with Favre hinting at retirement only to pull back and say he would come back for another season. But this time, it's for real.
Favre saved one of his best seasons for his last – leading the Packers to the NFC Championship Game at home, a game that many thought would result in another trip to the Super Bowl. Instead, an upset win by the Giants left the Packers on the outside looking in.
With Favre gone, Aaron Rodgers will take over as the Packers quarterback. If nothing else, this should open up the division to the other three teams that are chasing the Packers and make the run for the division title a wild affair.
Whether you liked him or not, you had to respect Favre for what he accomplished in the NFL and there's no doubt that he will be a unanimous, first-ballot Hall of Famer when he becomes eligible.
* Randy Moss is staying with the Pats, after signing a three-year, $27 million deal – killing off the chance of putting the band back together with Daunte Culpepper. However, reports are that the signing with the Patriots came after the Eagles made a strong push to sign him.
* Mewelde Moore agreed to a three-year deal with the Steelers Tuesday, joining former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. It was expected that Moore would get a better deal elsewhere than he would to stay as the No. 3 back with the Vikings.
* The Vikings might be nearing a deal with RB Maurice Hicks to replace Moore as the No. 3 back on the Vikings depth chart.
* There are rumors that the Vikings will make a run a Jevon Kearse, who was recently released by the Eagles and a player familiar to Brad Childress during his time with Philly.
* The Vikings had hoped to scheduled a visit with DE Antwan Odom of the Titans, but he signed a five-year, $29.5 million deal with the Bengals Monday.
Viking Update Top Stories
Assessing the metrics for Vikings RBsIn a season that saw the offensive line in flux, the running backs were rotating liberally with each of them displaying different strengths, as the net yards over average, grades…
Viking Update8:33 AM
Podcast: Outside free agents, Sunday reviewWith the Super Bowl teams set, we review the conference championship games and look at some of the potential free agents for the Minnesota Vikings to pursue.
Viking Update6:43 AM
McKinnon unsure of what's coming for offenseThere are numerous questions surrounding the makeup of the 2017 Minnesota Vikings offense. Running back Jerick McKinnon will be part of it. What will his role be? He doesn't know,…
Viking Update5:52 AM
Barr named to Pro Bowl as replacementThe Minnesota Vikings now have six players in the Pro Bowl after LB Anthony Barr was named a replacement on Monday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:46 AM