It was a date Vikings fans wondered would ever come, but on Tuesday morning Brett Favre announced that, after 17 seasons, he was hanging up his cleats and retiring.
The Packers and Favre have been playing the cat and mouse game for the last three or four years, with Favre hinting at retirement only to pull back and say he would come back for another season. But this time, it's for real.
Favre saved one of his best seasons for his last – leading the Packers to the NFC Championship Game at home, a game that many thought would result in another trip to the Super Bowl. Instead, an upset win by the Giants left the Packers on the outside looking in.
With Favre gone, Aaron Rodgers will take over as the Packers quarterback. If nothing else, this should open up the division to the other three teams that are chasing the Packers and make the run for the division title a wild affair.
Whether you liked him or not, you had to respect Favre for what he accomplished in the NFL and there's no doubt that he will be a unanimous, first-ballot Hall of Famer when he becomes eligible.
* Randy Moss is staying with the Pats, after signing a three-year, $27 million deal – killing off the chance of putting the band back together with Daunte Culpepper. However, reports are that the signing with the Patriots came after the Eagles made a strong push to sign him.
* Mewelde Moore agreed to a three-year deal with the Steelers Tuesday, joining former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. It was expected that Moore would get a better deal elsewhere than he would to stay as the No. 3 back with the Vikings.
* The Vikings might be nearing a deal with RB Maurice Hicks to replace Moore as the No. 3 back on the Vikings depth chart.
* There are rumors that the Vikings will make a run a Jevon Kearse, who was recently released by the Eagles and a player familiar to Brad Childress during his time with Philly.
* The Vikings had hoped to scheduled a visit with DE Antwan Odom of the Titans, but he signed a five-year, $29.5 million deal with the Bengals Monday.
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings nearing halfway point in signingsThe Minnesota Vikings are nearly halfway through signing their draft picks with a handful of contracts completed in 24 hours.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:29 AM
Zimmer: ‘This will not keep me from coaching’Whether he has one good eye or two, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer plans to return to the team soon.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:39 AM
Despite competition, Wright ‘a playmaker’Jarius Wright wasn’t happy with his role last season and there is more competition now. How is he handling it?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:21 AM
Vikings podcast: On Teddy, Zim, Bud and OTAsIt’s been an eventful week for the Minnesota Vikings with OTAs starting, a head coach not there, a QB that is trying to show progress and a general manager speaking for them. We…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:56 AM