The Vikings have been fighting a road losing streak for more than two years. Despite having chances to snap it over that span, perhaps Sunday's loss to Green Bay was the most painful, since the team never trailed until 1:06 remained in the game.
Lost in the defeat and the melee that boiled over at the end of the game was the re-writing of the Vikings and NFL record books. Four minutes into the game, Randy Moss caught a 15-yard pass to go over 1,000 yards -- becoming the first player in NFL history to have 1,000 or more receiving yards in each of his first five seasons. One the next play, Michael Bennett went over 1,000 yards for the first time in his career.
Later in the quarter, Moss caught a TD pass from Daunte Culpepper -- the 26th connection between the two. It tied the team record set by Warren Moon and Cris Carter for most touchdowns between a QB and a receiver.
In the second half, Bennett went over 100 yards for the third time in as many games vs. the Packers and it was his second 100-yard game in two trips to Lambeau Field. He and Christian Okoye of the Kansas City Chiefs were the only players to do that in league history in the their first two games at Lambeau.
However, there was no celebration of the feats. Just another defeat to ponder and wonder what could have been.
* The temperature at gametime was a mere 7 degrees and, with the win, Brett Favre continued his unbeaten string at home in cold weather -- now 34-0 when the temperature is 33 degrees or less.
* Sunday's was the first night game ever in December at Lambeau Field and, considering that the referee's microphone froze up twice, it may be the last.
* In the second quarter, Favre topped 3,000 passing yards for the seventh straight year.
* With 1:38 to play in the third quarter, Culpepper completed a pass to Jim Kleinsasser, the first completion in nine attempts and his first completion since the first play of the second quarter -- a span on almost 29 minutes of game time.
* For the first three quarters-plus, the Vikings didn't convert a third down. They converted two on their final full drive before the Packers scored the game-winning touchdown.
* The Packers' win evens the career series between the teams at 41-41-1 with an average margin of victory of 1.4 points.
* Moe Williams re-injured his heel on a 44-yard run Sunday and will be evaluated today about his status for Sunday's game at New Orleans.
* Willie Offord sustained a concussion Sunday, but is expected to be available next weekend.
* In 10 career games vs. the Packers, Moss has caught 49 passes for 1,001 yards and 10 TDs.
Records Fall, One Remains
Viking Update Top Stories
By the numbers: More than a passing fancyWith the running game being stymied all season, Minnesota Vikings receivers are putting up the biggest numbers the team has seen since Brett Favre ruled the roost in 2009.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:13 PM
Key matchup: Battle of the Seminole cornersXavier Rhodes and Jalen Ramsey seem far different in their personalities, but they both have a high level of play in their game.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:06 PM
Diggs reaching rare Vikings airStefon Diggs is on pace for a couple milestones that haven’t been reached by a Minnesota Vikings receiver in this decade.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 3:05 PM
First half is doom and gloom for JaguarsThe Jacksonville Jaguars are too good to be 2-10, but, despite a talented roster, early struggles have been their undoing all season.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:38 AM