The Vikings have been fighting a road losing streak for more than two years. Despite having chances to snap it over that span, perhaps Sunday's loss to Green Bay was the most painful, since the team never trailed until 1:06 remained in the game.
Lost in the defeat and the melee that boiled over at the end of the game was the re-writing of the Vikings and NFL record books. Four minutes into the game, Randy Moss caught a 15-yard pass to go over 1,000 yards -- becoming the first player in NFL history to have 1,000 or more receiving yards in each of his first five seasons. One the next play, Michael Bennett went over 1,000 yards for the first time in his career.
Later in the quarter, Moss caught a TD pass from Daunte Culpepper -- the 26th connection between the two. It tied the team record set by Warren Moon and Cris Carter for most touchdowns between a QB and a receiver.
In the second half, Bennett went over 100 yards for the third time in as many games vs. the Packers and it was his second 100-yard game in two trips to Lambeau Field. He and Christian Okoye of the Kansas City Chiefs were the only players to do that in league history in the their first two games at Lambeau.
However, there was no celebration of the feats. Just another defeat to ponder and wonder what could have been.
* The temperature at gametime was a mere 7 degrees and, with the win, Brett Favre continued his unbeaten string at home in cold weather -- now 34-0 when the temperature is 33 degrees or less.
* Sunday's was the first night game ever in December at Lambeau Field and, considering that the referee's microphone froze up twice, it may be the last.
* In the second quarter, Favre topped 3,000 passing yards for the seventh straight year.
* With 1:38 to play in the third quarter, Culpepper completed a pass to Jim Kleinsasser, the first completion in nine attempts and his first completion since the first play of the second quarter -- a span on almost 29 minutes of game time.
* For the first three quarters-plus, the Vikings didn't convert a third down. They converted two on their final full drive before the Packers scored the game-winning touchdown.
* The Packers' win evens the career series between the teams at 41-41-1 with an average margin of victory of 1.4 points.
* Moe Williams re-injured his heel on a 44-yard run Sunday and will be evaluated today about his status for Sunday's game at New Orleans.
* Willie Offord sustained a concussion Sunday, but is expected to be available next weekend.
* In 10 career games vs. the Packers, Moss has caught 49 passes for 1,001 yards and 10 TDs.
Records Fall, One Remains
Viking Update Top Stories
Anatomy of a contractLatavius Murray's contract with the Minnesota Vikings sounds pretty straightforward, but in the NFL that's not always the case.
Viking Update4:07 AM
Sunday slant: Planning for future has risksThe Minnesota Vikings have plenty of salary-cap space, but most of that is likely to be allocated for extensions.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:48 AM
Youth movement?Are the Minnesota Vikings looking to get younger in a hurry? The lack of older outside veterans brought in is silently speaking volumes.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:49 AM
Holler: You think you've got pain?When it comes to painful sports losses, there's something about 'Sconny and nobody has lived out that nightmare more than the Packers. What kind of pain would you rather have?
Viking UpdateSaturday at 8:08 AM
Peterson responds to report on asking priceAdrian Peterson responded to a report about his asking price in free agency, but it’s still not clear what his asking price really is.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 7:11 AM