After his selection to the Pro Bowl squad, Randy Moss told VU that it wasn't as big a deal to him as it used to be. His snub in 2001 was more of a perception of his not playing hard than his on-field performance and he soured on the game as a result.
In the season finale vs. Detroit, Moss strained his medial collateral ligament in his knee and that was enough -- he won't play in the Pro Bowl.
That doesn't mean the Vikings won't be represented. On the same day Moss was scratched from the lineup, RB Michael Bennett was added. Bennett will replace Green Bay's Ahman Green in the NFC lineup.
With NFC RBs Deuce McAllister and Marshall Faulk both banged up, Bennett is likely to see plenty of action in Hawaii. In the end, Vikings fans may have more to cheer about with Bennett, who wants to showcase his talents at the national level, than Moss -- who could honestly have cared less if he went to the Pro Bowl or not.
* Moss will be replaced on the Pro Bowl roster by Green Bay WR Donald Driver.
* Bennett wasn't the first selection for the NFC to replace Green. That was Giants RB Tiki Barber, but, claiming injuries of own, Barber will also skip the game.
* What's up, Bill Walsh? After lobbying so hard to get Dennis Green the job with the Jaguars, Walsh isn't so quick to hand Denny the job with the 49ers. VU has been told that no less than five interviews have been scheduled for the 49ers vacancy -- including 49ers defensive coordinator Jim Mora Jr, Philadelphia DC Jim Johnson, Patriots DC Romeo Crennel, Jets DC Ted Cotrell and Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress. Yet, to date, no interview has yet been scheduled for Green. Apparently Walsh's enthusiasm for Green to be a head coach in the NFL is more spirited when it is with someone else.
* From the deja vu department comes this: VU has been told by a Titans source that Jeff Diamond may be phased out in the organization. Much like he was with the Vikings, control of the day to day operations in Tennessee is being consolidated and Diamond may once again find himself the odd man out in a bloodless coup.
* Former Vikings head coach and much-maligned Les Steckel is still working in the NFL. He was hired Tuesday as the running backs coach for Buffalo.
Vike In, Vike Out for Pro Bowl
Viking Update Top Stories
Lot to like, question as Vikings work out DLThe Minnesota Vikings showed significant interest in a defensive tackle by working him out and likely wanted to get a better sense of his thinking, temperament and technique.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:41 PM
Ham won’t be a ‘nervous rookie’ anymoreWith Adrian Peterson and Matt Asiata still free agents, C.J. Ham knows he has a bigger opportunity in front of him after a season of listening and learning.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:47 AM
Is draft key to 2017 rebound?The Minnesota Vikings have plugged some holes in free agency, but will the draft be the focus of restocking the shelves? If so, what shelf gets stocked first?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:12 AM
Newly signed Murray has surgeryLatavius Murray, the Minnesota Vikings’ replacement for Adrian Peterson had surgery, the team announced Wednesday.
Viking UpdateWednesday at 4:03 PM
Podcast: Free agents, Zimmer’s words and moreWe analyze what the Minnesota Vikings have done, and not done, in free agency, talk team chemistry and more.
Viking UpdateWednesday at 9:03 AM