Turning point: Another stellar second quarter

After Chicago showed its first sign of life to tie up their game with the Vikings early in the second quarter, everyone got involved – offense, defense and special teams – to turn a close game into a laugher.

After a slow start to Sunday's game with the Bears, when Chicago scored a touchdown with 12:12 to play in the first half the game was tied 7-7 and it was clear that the Bears weren't going to lay down. It was that drive that seemingly got the Vikings' attention, which was bad news for the Bears but a good-news turning point for Minnesota.

On their scoring drive, the Bears completely ignored the run, as Jay Cutler threw six straight passes, completing five of them for 54 yards and a 24-yard TD to wide receiver Johnny Knox. After going three-and-out on their first two drives, the Bears sent a message that they came to play with their season on the line. It seemed to light a fire under the Vikings and they responded on offense, defense and special teams.

The offense got the first opportunity to make a difference and Percy Harvin got things started with a 35-yard run on an end-around to get the Vikings quickly into Bears territory and take away any momentum Chicago may have been building. Favre did the rest, completing passes of 10 yards to Sidney Rice, 7 yards to Bernard Berrian, 11 yards to Rice and 4 yards to Harvin before dumping a screen to Chester Taylor, who raced the final 10 yards for a touchdown and a 14-7 Vikings lead.

Next, it was the special teams' turn. On the ensuing kickoff, Chicago's Johnny Knox found a seam and streaked past the 30-yard line. As he struggled for additional yardage, Eric Frampton ripped the ball loose and Heath Farwell recovered on the Chicago 31-yard line. While the offense didn't take full advantage, Ryan Longwell earned his stripes with a 52-yard field goal to increase the lead to 17-7 with 7:02 to play.

The defense then entered its part in the equation. On the next two Bears drives, the Vikings ended it with interceptions. The first was a spectacular pick by a diving Cedric Griffin in the end zone after the Bears drove to the Vikings 22-yard line. The second came with one minute to play in the half. E.J. Henderson arrived at a ball thrown to tight end Greg Olsen and the collision knocked the ball up in the air, where Jared Allen came down with it, giving the Vikings the ball on their own 30-yard line with 57 seconds to play in the half.

A master of the two-minute drill, Favre dissected the Bears, completing passes of 21 yards to Shiancoe, 8 and 6 yards to Berrian and 33 yards to Rice – all without having to burn a timeout. After being backed up by a penalty, Favre completed the drive with a 6-yard touchdown strike to Shiancoe.

With the score being tied 7-7 with 12:12 to play in the first half, it was a dominant performance by all three phases of the Vikings that turned a tight game into a blowout.

Viking Update Top Stories