In-practice and post-practice notes from Monday's session at training camp. See all the Vikings news and speculation as it progressed through the VU Daily Blog.
Previous Daily Blogs: Click Here
Talk to the VU Bloggers: Click here
||Posted on Twitter at: 6:14:00 PM
Notebook: Griffin takes injury news in stride: Cedric Griffin wasn't sure what kind of timetable the Vikings had f... http://bit.ly/bGtjfZ
Posted by: John Holler
on Monday, August 02, 2010 at 4:56:00 PM
Griffin addresses status
The afternoon practice just ended for the Vikings and VU caught up with Cedric Griffin, who was ruled out of the Sept. 9 game with New Orleans more than five weeks in advance of the game.
Griffin said he was unaware of the decision until today and said he's simply following the timetable the team doctors are setting for him.
We will have much more of what Griffin had to say within the hour on the VU home page.
Some other notes from the afternoon practice:
* By far the most boring of the practices to date, most of the time was spent doing positional drills.
* E.J. Henderson was held out of the afternoon practice more as a precaution than an aggravation of his leg injury.
* The sun poked out about 4 p.m. and the heat rose in a hurry in Mankato. Whether it played a factor or not, the practice was cut short about 20 minutes early.
Posted by: Tim Yotter
on Monday, August 02, 2010 at 3:13:00 PM
Griffin out for opener, still involved
Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said Monday that starting right cornerback Cedric Griffin will not be ready for the season opener Sept. 9 in New Orleans.
"Cedric Griffin will not be participating. He was a big part of our success a year ago," Frazier said.
Griffin tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in overtime of the NFC Championship Game in New Orleans and had previously said he hoped to be ready for the start of training camp. When that day arrived on Friday, he was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list.
On Monday, Griffin remained on that list, meaning he can't practice until removed from it, but he was shadowing Frazier throughout the morning practice.
"I think he just wanted to get a different perspective," Frazier said. "He's doing something that he is not accustomed to, sitting and watching. He just wanted to see some of the things I see and talk through some strategy. I think it will help him when he does get on the field."
FREE BOARD | SUBSCRIBER BOARD | VU on TWITTER | VU on FACEBOOK
||Posted on Twitter at: 2:57:00 PM
E.J. Henderson is being held out of the second practice of the day. Looks like that is plan with early two-a-days. #Vikings
||Posted on Twitter at: 1:09:00 PM
Notebook: Kleinsasser becoming camp savvy: The player with the most seniority in a Vikings uniform knows all about... http://bit.ly/a2thai
Posted by: John Holler
on Monday, August 02, 2010 at 11:43:00 AM
Monday morning practice notes
The Vikings completed their first of two practices Monday in what promises to be the more tolerable of the two practices. Under cloudy skies, the Vikings went to the limit of their practice time, something they didn't do much of last year. The team is scheduled to practice from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. this afternoon, with temperatures expected to approach 90 degrees with dewpoints in the low 70s.
* Former Viking Rich Gannon took in the morning practice. Gannon, who spent several years with the Vikings, is an analyst for CBS and co-hosts a show on Sirius NFL Radio.
* Five players didn't practice during the morning session – WRs Sidney Rice (hip, PUP) and Percy Harvin (personal), CBs Cedric Griffin (knee, PUP) and Benny Sapp (dehydration) and center John Sullivan (leg).
* Harvin was the only player who wasn't on the field. He suffered a death in the family over the weekend and hasn't been seen on the practice field the last two sessions.
* Griffin spent the entire practice shadowing defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, walking with the coach wherever he went on the practice field.
||Posted on Twitter at: 10:19:00 AM
CB Chris Cook got tangled up with Jaymar Johnson during a deep pass play. He was helped off the field but is playing through it. #Vikings
||Posted on Twitter at: 9:05:00 AM
It is overcast but not raining yet at #Vikings practice. 73 degrees. Forecast predicts a chance of showers for the morning and afternoon.
||Posted on Twitter at: 9:02:00 AM
There is no sign of Percy Harvin (death in the family) and Benny Sapp (unknown). #Vikings
||Posted on Twitter at: 9:01:00 AM
On the field, but not practicing: Sidney Rice (hip) and Cedric Griffin (knee), both on PUP, and John Sullivan (leg). #Vikings
||Posted on Twitter at: 7:58:00 AM
Webb gem or work in progress?: Joe Webb's physical presence looks natural standing in the pocket, but is he ready ... http://bit.ly/aq2HU8
||Posted on Twitter at: 9:48:00 PM
Sunday best has Cook feeling fine: Chris Cook is out to prove that his perceived weaknesses aren't that weak after... http://bit.ly/dtWTUm
||Posted on Twitter at: 7:46:00 PM
Notebook: Edwards looking forward, not back: Ray Edwards spent the offseason not practicing with the team to show ... http://bit.ly/bn4d6D