After falling out of grace in Indy and Atlanta, Jeff George has spent the last few years bouncing around the league. His success has been spotty, except for one place -- with the Vikings in 1999.
Because of that familiarity, as well as knowing Daunte Culpepper and many of the offensive players on the team, VU has been told the Vikings are preparing a contract offer to George that could be submitted as early as today.
While coach Mike Tice has also indicated the team would be satisfied with QB Gus Frerotte, with Todd Bouman no longer on the roster, the need for a veteran backup QB has taken a heightened urgency.
From what VU has been told, the Vikes will likely offer George a two-year deal in the $2 million range with several incentives that could increase the amount with playing time bonuses. Expect to see a deal done with one of them by the end of the week.
* Just when it looked like the Vikes had no shot at Vonnie Holliday, contract talks with the Cardinals have stalled and the Vikings could potentially make a late run. Holliday's agent said he wants to get a contract finalized this week, so the Vikings and Cards are on the clock.
* The team is also looking at former Lions LB Chris Claiborne as an option. He played MLB with Detroit, but is more natural on the outside and, with Greg Biekert under contract, he would be moved outside if signed by the Vikes.
* WR Oronde Gadsden is scheduled for a visit later this week.
* The Bucs are apparently interested in former Viking Dwayne Rudd.
* Former Viking John Randle restructured his contract with the Seahawks -- a sign that this may be his last year in the NFL.
* In NFL owners news, it is expected that owners are going to reject a proposal to change league overtime rules and there is a growing sentiment to add a playoff team as early as this year. Under the plan, the team with the best record in each conference would get a bye, allowing one wild card team to be added -- letting three division winners play three wild cards in the first round of the playoffs.
Vikes To Offer George A Contract
Viking Update Top Stories
Cutler returns, praising Vikings defenseBears QB Jay Cutler is returning to action and expects some rust, but he has immense respect for the Minnesota Vikings defense.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:43 PM
VIDEO: Bradford breaks down offensive issuesWhile Sam Bradford has generally had an impressive start to his time with the Minnesota Vikings, that didn't translate last week. He discusses the offensive struggles against the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:33 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer blasts report, talks BearsMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer defends his character after an erroneous report that was later corrected went viral, but Zimmer settled in to talk Bears mostly on Thursday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:39 PM
Vikings look to turn the pageComing off their first loss of the season, the Minnesota Vikings are looking to shake the label of being soft and get back to their winning ways at Soldier Field Monday, a place…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:28 PM