Good polarized sunglasses, and there are a lot of them out there, enhance visual acuity and cut through glare from any surface. Great shades, however, raise the bar.
The reputation Wiley X enjoys rests as much on their products’ ability to protect your eyes as it does on improving your vision. And it’s the first feature that I wanted to assess.
After conducting the punishing test you just saw in the video above, I know these sunglasses will keep you comfortable and protect your eyes whether you’re on a top-end run across the water, driving an ATV to a backcountry stream, or busting brush to a hidden pond.
- Top Qualities: Kept wind and dust out of my eyes. Shatterproof lens held up. Lifetime warranty (I’m a big fan of this feature). Cleaning cloth included.
- Favorite Feature: The lenses stayed FOG-FREE during my test and evaluation phase.
- Least Favorite Feature: Trying to snap the removable foam eye cup back into place. Tough even without gloves.
- Specifications And Features: The removable soft-foam eye cup gaskets block wind and dust while enhancing visual acuity. Shatterproof protection with ANSI Z87 and OSHA ratings. Top Down Ventilation keeps eyes cool and lenses fog-free. Includes strap, case and cleaning cloth. Manufacturers eyewear limited lifetime warranty.
- Test Protocol: My TEAM and I came up with a method that would put the Wiley X Gravity’s ability to block out wind, dirt, debris and anything else nasty that’s out there to an extreme test. Driving an ATV down a dry, dusty gravel road, I followed closely behind a pickup truck at speeds that reached 60 mph. The purpose--pepper Cash’s face with as much dirt, dust and sand as possible!
- Skill-Level Recommendation: Beginners on up to expert level.
- Bottom Line: The Wiley X Gravity’s passed the test. Even though my face was covered in dust and dirt, my eyes stayed clear and debris-free. My only problem during the test was removing and replacing the soft foam eye cup inserts. Even without gloves it took the former Navy SEAL a few tries to master it. I then added gloves to the equation. NO JOY!! Lightweight gloves needed to be removed.
Warrior Tested Rating