Serious anglers tend to choose rods and reels from the à la carte menu—matching just the right reel with the perfect rod for a specific species or application. That doesn’t mean, however, that there’s no room for a good combo setup in the arsenal. Whether you’re looking for a primary stick, or a solid all-around backup rig, check out the Cardinal SX Combo series. It’s got a lot going for it.
- Reel sizes vary from 5 to 40, and the one- and two-piece rods measure from 5½ to 7 feet in length, with power ratings of light, medium-light and medium. There’s a lot of versatility within the series, especially in the mid-range outfits which can handle multiple species of various sizes.
- The 24 Ton graphite blank is relatively light and stands up to hard use. Balances nicely with the pre-packaged reel.
- Weight is an issue with some combos. The reel features a graphite frame and rotor to keep overall weight down.
- Stainless steel shaft and components resist corrosion.
- Reels offer a respectable 5.2:1 or 5.1:1 gear ratio.